As a Purchasing Management Graduate at Salling Group, you will become part of a professional and dynamic Commercial organisation that is rapidly developing to meet the requirements of the retail of tomorrow.
The two-year programme is designed to develop the next generation of best-in-class category buyers and subsequently category managers and will take you across several categories, including different aspects of a category buyer’s overall tasks and responsibilities. A category buyer at Salling Group has a large responsibility which includes campaign planning and thus the initial steps of marketing.
During the programme, you will be based in the Purchasing Department at Salling Group’s headquarters in Årslev, Aarhus.
How you will grow during the programme
First of all, the programme will give you the opportunity to learn about retail in a modern fast-paced procurement organisation. Gaining invaluable hands-on-experience and learning about the value chain in a practical manner, you will find yourself acquiring a profound insight into commercial functions.
During the programme, you will learn the basic principles within buying covering not only the technical elements within the categories and in relation to suppliers, but also developing your negotiation and innovation skills. In general, you will find that your personal skills will grow on a broad scale during the programme.
What you will be doing as a graduate
In each rotation, you will work as a fully-fledged member of the team and learn competencies relevant to the placement.
Working as a category buyer means:
- Being close to the suppliers to ensure that within the category we always have the right SKUs at the right prices
- Having an insight into the category to be able to deliver high performing results
- Having an overall insight into marketing, range, in-store and the suppliers within the category
- Performing administrative tasks related to buying
As you work your way across the different categories, you will be trained in and gain hands-on-experience with the daily tasks in the department. Specific tasks could include:
- Making different analyses: cat-man, market, product range, product mapping (both own and competitors’), sales, supplier selection, which products to brand etc.
- Packaging optimisation: where could money be saved by optimising within logistical matters, colli size and packaging size
- Campaign planning: planning of internal activities, placing of orders, sales and follow-ups
- Being responsible for smaller supplier contracts
- General reporting
While solving your daily tasks, you will work in close cooperation with external suppliers, but above all internal stakeholders both within the department – category buyers, category managers, your purchasing manager and purchasing director – and colleagues in other Commercial departments such as Goods Flow, Masterdata and Promotion.
Last but not least, you will have close contact with the formats and the stores, who are the ultimate stakeholders.
Working within Commercial
The Commercial organisation consists of approximately 700 employees covering Grocery, Fresh, Nonfood, Textile, Commercial Support, Instore and Private Label and is situated at Salling Group’s headquarters in Årslev by Aarhus.
It is a highly professional procurement organisation which is responsible for the entire procurement flow for Bilka, føtex and Netto. This includes trend spotting and product development, supplier negotiations and product selection, sourcing and promotion.
All our employees share the same passion and commitment to give our customers the best shopping experience and thus the culture is characterised by being dynamic, fast paced and highly collaborative.
After successfully completing the programme, you will be able to take up a category buyer position, which is a highly skilled and specialised position. Continuing your steep learning curve, within a couple of years of completing the programme you will be able to enter a category manager position. In general, we are looking for people who have the desire and ambition to develop to at least the level of category manager.
Having acquired this solid understanding of buying and the Commercial organisation, you may also find career opportunities within other staff functions in Commercial or other buying departments in the group – in Denmark or abroad.
Only your talent, drive, ambition and potential will set the limit.
To become a successful Purchasing Management Graduate at Salling Group, it is important that you have the right mix of personal and professional skills. If you can identify yourself with the below, then you might be our next graduate.
- Ambitious and goal oriented
- Committed and highly motivated
- An analytic mind-set with good numeracy skills
- The ability to work in a structured manner and meet deadlines
- Good communication and co-operation skills and the ability to establish and maintain relations with key stakeholders i.e. suppliers
- Strong drive and sense of urgency
- Great personal impact (future manager), result oriented, competitive – but still with the ability to co-operate with a wide range of people
- International mind-set
- Recently graduated or are about to graduate as cand.merc. or cand.oecon and have delivered excellent results
- Some work experience gained during or after your studies – up to a maximum of one year’s full time work
- Preferably experience with retail
- Excellent language skills in Danish and English – both spoken and written fluency
- Strong Excel-skills
Our recruitment process is designed to identify your potential to become one of our future talents.